The Difference Between Building Insurance and Household Content Insurance

The Difference Between Building Insurance and Household Content Insurance

Many homeowners fall into the trap of thinking that in the event of a natural disaster or theft their building insurance covers the loss or damage of personal belongings inside their home. Truth is, this isn’t the case unless it’s packaged with household content insurance.

Let’s discuss the difference between building and content insurance and the importance of having both.

Whilst building insurance covers the structure of your home and its outbuildings, household content insurance covers more personal possessions and valuable objects like your furniture, appliances, cutlery, crockery, clothing, bedding, clothing and all loose items in your home.

Both types of insurance will cover instances where damage is caused by fire, lightning, explosion, storm, wind, rain, hail, snow, water or earthquake. They’ll even cover bursting and leaking pipes, overflowing of water and damage from faulty heat installations.

As a homeowner, you know that your home is one of your biggest assets.  Having both building and household content insurance ensures that, should something go wrong, you will have money to rebuild your home and replace your belongings.

Having both these insurances doesn’t only cover you financially but also gives you peace of mind. You’ll know that you and your family will be taken care of in an event of theft or a natural disaster.
Another important factor to consider when looking for suitable insurance is to find one that covers not only for replacement of the structure and the contents, but one that includes the cost of living somewhere else whilst your damage is repaired.

When taking out a policy, it is essential that you provide a good assessment of your belongings. Being under insured can turn out to be almost as bad as not having a policy at all and if something did go wrong, you might end up voiding the policy, or not being able to claim everything back.

About the Author

Charl Oosthuizen
Independent Financial Advisor / Onafhanklike Finasiële Adviseur Ultrafin Finansiële Oplossings (Edms) Bpk / Financial Solutions (Pty) Ltd FSP 35757 Cell: 083 377 1441 | Fax: 086 617 8137 | Tel: 086 111 4602 Besturende Direkteur. Charl is sedert 1990 betrokke by versekring. Verantwoordelik vir oorhoofse bestuur van maatskappy, met spesifieke fokus op die Kort Termyn Afdeling as ‘n boer in murg en been lê die landbou vir Charl baie na aan die hart. Dus vorm Agri Versekring en gepaardgaande NIS produkte ‘n belangrike deel van Ultrafin se Potefeulje.

Be the first to comment on "The Difference Between Building Insurance and Household Content Insurance"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.